Netflix has officially given a series order to a brand new heist drama series titled Jigsaw, which is being described as an innovative and suspenseful crime thriller. The series is developed to take a nonlinear approach to storytelling, where it lets the viewers be in control. Emmy-nominated actor Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad, The Mandalorian) has signed on for the leading role of Leo Pap. Joining him are Paz Vega, Rufus Sewell, Tati Gabrielle, Peter Mark Kendall, Rosaline Elbay, Jai Courtney, and Niousha Noor.
Jigsaw is created and executive produced by Eric Garcia, who is also set as the showrunner. The series consists of eight parts ranging from 24 years before the heist to 1 year post-heist and takes a non-linear approach to storytelling that builds intrigue and suspense.
“Spanning 24 years, Jigsaw centers around the largest heist ever attempted, and the vengeance, scheming, loyalties, and betrayals that surround it,” reads the official logline. “It’s loosely inspired by the real-life story where seventy billion dollars in bonds went missing in downtown Manhattan during Hurricane Sandy.”
The full character descriptions are listed below:
- Esposito’s Leo Pop – “A natural leader, Leo is whip-smart, intense and driven, with an engineer’s mind and a meticulous eye for detail. He became a thief at a young age — and though he had a chance to get out, he couldn’t stay away from the criminal life and his relapse cost him his family and his freedom.”
- Vega’s Ava Mercer – “An attorney by day, she is equally at home on a gun range or gallery show as she is in the courtroom. Although she plays things fast and loose, deep down she’s a passionate soul who will do anything to protect the few people close to her.”
- Sewell’s Roger Salas – “is a former thief who has reinvented himself as a top tier security expert, Roger is a salesman with an uncanny ability to manipulate people to his ends. Loyal, to a point, but his own ambitions and needs will win out every time.”
- Gabrielle’s Hannah Kim – “is an intelligent, ambitious, and adaptable, Hannah is a woman who wears many hats – and is driven by far more than money. As a chameleon who flows between the world of high-stakes finance and low-lying crime, she will have to use everything in her bag of tricks to find a way up and out.”
- Kendall’s Stan Loomis – “A small-time smuggler with a big-time passion for life’s epicurean pleasures, Stan’s got a mouth that never stops running and the heart of a hopeless romantic. Loyal to a fault, he’s willing to risk it all for the object of his desire — even if it means giving up the comfortable life he’s built for himself.”
- Elbay’s Judy Goodwin – “The crew’s demolitions specialist, Judy is headstrong and independent — an eccentric spitfire with a sarcastic edge who is clever and talented enough to stay a step ahead of her mistakes.”
- Courtney’s Bob Goodwin – “A chest-puffing alpha male with a knack for safecracking and pushing people’s buttons, Bob is attractive enough to be a threat and smart enough to be dangerous to anyone who gets in his way when he’s on the hunt.”
- Noor’s Nazan Abassi – “Driven, damaged and tenacious to a fault, FBI Agent Nazan Abassi is the raging fire that threatens to burn our crew of thieves down – as long as those flames don’t consume her first.”
Jigsaw will be executive produced by Ridley Scott, David W. Zucker, and Jordan Sheehan with Scott Free Productions; Fred Berger, Brian Kavanaugh-Jones, and Justin Levy with Automatik Entertainment; and Russell Fine. The first two episodes will be directed by Jose Padilha.
Production is currently underway at Netflix Studios: Brooklyn, making it the first production at the company’s new Bushwick studio.