The cast for Peacock’s upcoming drama Irreverent has been announced, with Arrow star Colin Donnell set to lead the series.
The streaming platform revealed a handful of actors headed to the series, including Donnell, PJ Bryne, Kylie Bracknell, Briallen Clarke, Tegan Stimson, Ed Oxenbould, Wayne Blair, Russell Dykstra, Calen Tassone, and Jason Wilder. The series will be directed by showrunner Paddy Macrae, with writer Andrew Knight and Debbie Lee serving as executive producers.
Irreverent follows the story of criminal mediator Paulo Keegan, as he flees the United States after a mediation gone wrong and assumes the identity of Reverend Mackenzie “Mack” Boyd. After finding himself stuck in Clump, Australia — a small, eccentric beach town that’s a long way from civilization — he must make sure to keep the town unaware of who he really is and take up the role of a Reverend while he searches for a way out of the town.
Official character descriptions are as follows:
- Donnell will play Mack/Paulo, a skilled and articulate mediator who keeps the peace between organized crime families in Chicago. After a mediation goes badly wrong, “Mack” flees to a remote beach town in tropical Australia where he is forced to assume the identity of a Reverend in order to stay ahead of the people who want him dead.
- PJ Bryne will play Mackenzie Boyd, a church Reverend in Chicago who never ruffles any feathers. Devastated by his wife leaving him before their relocation to Australia, Mackenzie meets Paulo on the flight over and runs off with his money in a bid to inject some adventure into his predictable life.
- Kylie Bracknell will play Piper, a gifted cop who has recently returned to her home town after a successful start to her career in the city. Back to the beach, back to the rainforest and back to her old boyfriend Aidan who is thrilled she’s in town again.
- Briallen Clarke will play Amy, Piper’s childhood best friend who misses her and what they used to have. Amy is an engineer at the local sugar mill, and the face of the organized protest fighting for her worker colleagues.
- Tegan Stimson will play Daisy, a local teenager whose mum recently died and dad is in prison. She lives in the Manse with Mack, and she quickly becomes his key confidant and unlikely partner in crime.
- Ed Oxenbould will play Cameron, a teenager who is best mates with Daisy. He would help anyone out, for any reason, any time. Cameron has a passion for car engines, which gets him in trouble now and then.
- Wayne Blair will play Peter, a local dentist who is devoutly religious and has been campaigning for a new Reverend for years. He has a wife at home with Multiple Sclerosis who he’s trying to help in all the wrong ways.
- Russell Dykstra will play Lester, proprietor of the local bar and soulmate of Amy’s father Victor. He wants to bring wealth and prosperity to Clump via tourism, but he’s the only one who doesn’t know he’s delusional.
- Calen Tassone will play Harry, Piper’s brother and best mates with Aidan. As the local barman, he knows virtually every secret in Clump, and is increasingly concerned by the chemistry he sees between Piper and Mack.
- Jason Wilder will play Aidan, a Clump local. Totally alluring and lovely, he is back in a relationship with Piper after a few years while she lived in the city and he adores her. He’s a self-taught marine biologist, naturally gifted, runs tours on the reef and lives aboard his book-laden boat.